Friday, February 6, 2009

Former LPCA President Speaks

Fellow LPCA members,

My name is Jon Jensen and I am writing this letter to encourage you to vote for the reforms proposed by LPCA Renaissance.

I served as president of the Land Park Community Association from March 2007 until March 2008. I can tell you that all of the changes proposed are absolutely necessary if LPCA is to endure as a neighborhood organization.

Sadly, during my tenure as president I came to realize that LPCA has slipped into the control of a few long-time members who seem more interested in control than in furthering the interests of the neighborhood as a whole. Several neighbors have told me they thought these persons had represented the interests of our neighborhood well in the past, but I can assure you that simply is no longer the case. What these members do now is to act in secret to set policy, refuse to include anyone outside their inner circle in the policy setting, and censure and distort information disseminated to the public.

When I joined LPCA, my particular interest was, and still is, land use planning. I have become interested in architecture as well as urban planning and thought involvement in this part of LPCA would be a wonderful way to combine my interest with community service. Because of this interest, I got a view of the LPCA Land Use Committee in operation at the ground level. What I experienced was alarming: a lack of overall objectives other than harassment and rude, unfair negotiating tactics. I was regarded as an irritant simply for asking questions and ultimately “forgotten” in all LPCA correspondence concerning land use issues.

Additionally, I attended the city’s Planning Academy and learned what the outside community really thought about LPCA. Not much. At the same time, and before I realized just how fruitless discussions of internal reform really were, I also attempted to introduce transparency and increased neighborhood participation into LPCA.

Everyone on the board of directors said they were in favor of such reform, but when it came to putting these principles into practice, it was back to the same old control by the long-time members. An illustration of this is the current Land Use Policy. The long-time members formally adopted and published this exclusionary policy last January 16th after I forced them to do so.

Inclusiveness and openness are such obvious requirements of a neighborhood organization that I do not think anyone can dispute their necessity. It is just that when the long-time members say they are also in favor of these principles you cannot believe them. They have had many chances to practice these principles and have chosen to not do so. If not my experience, then the resignation of four other directors in the last year should tell you that.

Vote for the reforms, preferably in person on February 11th or by sending your proxy to LPCA Renaissance before then. We have a wonderful neighborhood with lots of residents who have much to contribute. Lets give everyone, not just the few, a chance to participate.